How to unclog a double kitchen sink with garbage disposal. A clogged drain is one of the worst situations most homeowners encounter and believe me, it’s hard to fix it without knowledge.
Garbage disposals with a sink are great in disposing of the food particles while washing the dishes. Garbage disposal is efficient with small food scraps but putting the large scraps clogs the drain.
The method to unclog the double kitchen sink with garbage disposal is slightly different from that of other sink types. we will discuss different procedures to fix the clogged drain with the double kitchen sink.
Tools and equipment you needed
- Protective gloves to protect yourself
- Baking soda and vinegar
- Plunger and C-clamp
- Sink stopper.
How to unclog a double kitchen sink with garbage disposal
To unclog the double kitchen sink, you can use ¼ cup of baking soda and ½ of vinegar. Unplug the garbage disposal, apply the sink stopper to unclogged sink, and then put the baking soda and vinegar into the drain.
Now run hot water through the clogged drain to remove the blockage.
Try Baking soda and vinegar to unclog the double kitchen sink
- unplug your garbage disposal
it advises unplugging your garbage disposal before you start to work with the clogged drain sink.
This precautionary step is important to protect yourself from any unwanted happenings.
- Apply baking soda and vinegar: We are well aware of natural products, baking soda, and vinegar. Take ¼ cup of baking soda and add it to the drain. Now take another ½ cup of vinegar and add it to the drain. Wait for the time when fizzing is over inside the drain.
- Run hot water through drain: Now turn on the hot water faucet and run water through the drain. Let the water run for some minutes.
- Double-check your drain: Check if there are some clogs repeat step 2, apply the baking soda and vinegar method again. And run water through the drain until clogged is clear.
- Inspect your drain: If the sink is still clogged take a torchlight and inspect the drain. Sometimes clogged items can be at a reachable stage. Remove the item if any, you can use special tools to remove the clogged item.
- Replug the garbage disposal: If the problem is fixed you can re-plug the garbage disposal back to the sink, else proceed to the next method.
Plunger to unclog the double kitchen sink with garbage disposal
The plunger is the best method to unclog the double sink, take the sink stopper and insert it into the unclogged sink.
- Block the airgap from the sink
If your sink has an air gap block it, otherwise water will come out through the air gap hole. Even the water can go very far, so blocking the air gap is highly recommended.
A small C-clamp is the best option to take block the airgap. If the C-clamp is not available you can seek help from a friend to hold the rag over the air gap.
- Use plunger and petroleum jelly
Place the plunger directly over the sink drain hole and add enough water to the sink to produce a watertight seal.
You can use petroleum jelly over the rim of longer for a secure and powerful plunging environment. While plunging make sure the other side of the sink is closed with some material.
- Start plunging to remove clog
Ensure the opposite side of the sink is closed before you start plunging. Start plunging vigorously and repeat it.
Apply force to unclog the drain, and keep plunging until water flows and drain unclogs.
- Fix everything back and run water through the faucet
Once you have unclogged the drain, open the faucet to run the hot water. Hot water will take away the remains of clogged material.
Now fix everything back, unblock the air gap, and open the sink you have closed earlier. Remove the C-clamp to open the air gap of the sink.
The kitchen sink clogged tried everything. A clogged drain in the kitchen is a headache especially when you have a lot of dishes and kitchenware to wash. You can use home remedies to unclog the double kitchen sink with the garbage disposal. Or try using a plunger to push down the blockage. Unplug the disposal first before starting the unclogging job. After finishing the job plug the garbage disposal again.