Home remedy for clogged drain with hair. Hair clog is one of the most occurring clogs in the shower tub drain or shaving sink. Hairs can tress-pass the stopper easily and after time, it will create hair clumps inside the drain.
Hair clog slows down the draining of water and sometimes results in standing water in your tub and blocks the pipe. No worries you can tackle this problem by using easily available home remedies. most of the time solution is in your kitchen.
Some home remedies to unclog the drain blocked with hair.
- Baking soda
- Baking soda and salt
- Plumbing snake and plunger
Home remedy for clogged drain with hair
Baking soda and vinegar combined dissolve hair clogs naturally. To dissolve hair clog, pour baking soda about 1 cup and later add 1 cup of vinegar. Combining 1 cup of baking soda and ½ cup of salt also proves to dissolve the hair clogs.
Baking soda and vinegar to dissolve hair clog
Using Baking soda and vinegar one after the other helps remove hair clog from the drain. Baking soda is great to deal with fungus and bacteria. Let’s explore how to use baking soda and vinegar efficiently.
- Take protective gloves and pour one cup of baking soda into the clogged drain.
- Right-after pouring baking soda, take one cup of vinegar and pour it down the drain.
- Probably you will hear a fizzing sound, which indicates the reaction between baking soda and vinegar.
- It will take about 5 to 10 minutes to stop fizzing.
- Take warm water and pour it down the drain. Note, you need extra care because warm water can damage the skin.
- To check if the clog is removed turn on the faucet and check if water is draining or it’s still clogged.
- If the drain is still blocked, repeat the procedure.
Salt, baking soda, and boiling water
If the baking soda and vinegar do not work for you, then try the mixture of baking soda and salt. Salt mixed with baking soda dissolves hair clogged. Follow the steps below to use these methods.
- Take one cup of baking soda and ½ cup of salt, both things are easily available in every kitchen.
- Add the mixture to the drain and leave it overnight.
- It will create several fuzzing reactions all night.
- Take boiling water and pour it down the drain. Open the faucet to check if the water is draining or not.
- After all, attempts fail you need to proceed to the next method.
The plunger as a drain blockage remover
If vinegar and baking soda is not working for you it’s time to switch to the plunger to remove clog hair.
The draining plunger comes with different designs, it depends on the type of sink, tub, or drain. The standard plunger works best with the drain, bathroom tub, or sink drain.
- Take a standard plunger and place it over the drain
- Add water around the plunger to cover its cap. Adding water helps to provide airtight suction, and the plunger will work efficiently.
- Plunge the plunger several times to unclog the drain.
- Take out the plunger and inspect the drain to see if the clog is drained away. If not so repeat the process.
Perform the snaking method/ use plumbing snake
A plumbing snake is a long cable that is used to break down the clog and it works effectively to break down hard unclogs.
The plumbing snake-cable can be found at home, if you don’t have you can request your neighbor or buy a new one for you.
Insert the snake cable inside the drain and apply force repeatedly to break the clog. Keep applying the force and pushing the wire up and down unless water drains easily.
Alternative methods include the use of baking soda and salt. If baking soda and vinegar fail you can try a plunger and plumbing snake cable to break the hair clog. You can protect your drain from hair clog by turning on the faucet while shaving or try brushing your hair before going to shower.