Cleaning old wood floors without refinishing. Wood floors increase the charm of your house look, but managing these floors could be a little bit hard.
But it’s not impossible to clean your old wood floor. Many homeowners choose to refinish to bring back the shining look of their wood floors.
Performing refinishing on the old wood floors provides a new shining look. Refinishing is all about sanding, staining, and resealing wood floors, but these things take a longer time.
You can clean the old wood floor without refinishing using some regular cleaners. This method is easier and saves you a lot of time. We’ll go over the best ways to clean your old wood floor in great detail.
Cleaning old wood floors without refinishing
There are some best home remedies for cleaning the old wood floor and maintaining its pristine condition. Baking soda, vinegar, and diluted lemon juice are the best remedies to clean the old wood floor.
Mope your wood floor with the solution of water and vinegar or lemon juice and water to clean the wood floor thoroughly.
Remove dust and dirt by sweeping
The sweeping method is used to remove dirt and dust from the old wood floor, to give it a new look. Sweeping takes away all debris and dirt from the floor. Sweeping should be done before trying any other cleaning solution.
Vinegar to clean old wood floor
Vinegar is the natural cleaner for almost all types of floors, and old wood floor is one of them. When vinegar is in the diluted form it’s more effective and does not pose any harm to wood floors and homeowners. After surveys, we learned from many homeowners that vinegar and baking soda should be mixed in moderate quantities. Here is a step-by-step guide to cleaning old wood floors with vinegar.
- Mix it carefully to make a proper solution.
- Apply the mope on the floor so that you have didn’t skip any single inch.
- Now take a soft clean cloth and remove excess water from the floor.
- Note: Concentrated vinegar is dangerous for the wood floor, so be careful while preparing the solution and take only a limited quantity.
Clean old wood floor with vinegar and baking soda paste
Vinegar and baking soda paste are useful in removing the pet urine stains and scuff marks on your old wood floor.
Baking soda and vinegar work together to make the best cleaning solution. This method is helpful as it does not leave any chances of mold growth and no remaining water.
To clean the old wood floor using vinegar and baking soda paste, follow the methods below.
- Prepare a paste of vinegar with baking soda, keep the balance ratio of baking soda and vinegar.
- Apply the paste to the stained area and leave it to dry for a few minutes. After the waiting time is exceeded proceed to the next step.
- Take a cotton swab, paper towel, or soft cloth to wipe off the paste and stains.
Lemon juice to clean old wood floor
Lemon juice is acidic and is also used as a cleaning agent. When dilute lemon juice is applied to the old wood floor it dislodges all dirt and debris from the old wood floor. To effectively use this remedy, follow the steps below.
- Take lemon juice, one gallon of water, and a mope bucket.
- For a shining look on the wood floor, add olive oil to the cleaning solution.
- Dip the mope inside the bucket and wring it well before applying it to the floor.
- Take a dry towel and remove all excess water from the dry floor.
Cleaning old wood floors without refinishing. It’s possible to clean old wood floors without refinishing, home remedies perform the task effectively. Take proper cautions to avoid any damage to the look of the old wood floor.
After cleaning the floor, it’s recommended to keep it dry with a towel or soft cotton, this way you can protect your wood floor. Market products are also used to perform the cleaning task but you need proper knowledge.